Five: Passionate Anger

Sept 5th: "I am passionate about... Education. "


"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein



This one could also be took as anger just as much as passion, for those who have followed my blog for a while or read back on my posts you may already know this but I feel passionate about the Education system on a whole. 
When I left High School I was told I had to go to College and then take the final plunge to University; by doing so I would be guaranteed a good job when I'm older. This is rubbish. The education system does not determine your path for success, the person you are determines that path. 


I am now going into my final year of a degree I know longer have an interest in as it has honestly taken the fun out of the passion I once had for Media. I think as a society we should be helping children make the right choices and giving them more options, not everybody is as academic as others and different options should be set out to support that. I feel I was let down, I was pressured into believing college then university would give me this high paying job and I would get the exact job I studied for, but it doesn't work that way, not in my degree anyway. If a child wants to be a doctor, a teacher then fair enough University may be the right choice for them but if like me a child wanted to be a freelance camera man or a producer then having a piece of paper to prove you can turn a camera on, doesn't entitle you to that job role straight away.


I just think we should be telling them that University isn't the be all and end all of everything, it shouldn't define who you are as a person or the career choices you want to make. This is your life, live it how you want. I know one day I'll be where I want to be and I doubt this degree will have anything to do with that; it has opened my eyes to what the world has to offer younger people which has improved but I do feel there needs to be more for school leavers, as at 16 you shouldn't feel the pressure of choosing subjects that ultimately will set you up for the rest of your life. If you want my advice? Experience life before making any of them choices... yes go to college, but don't go straight into University if you're unsure, try a few jobs, see a few places... let the world give you the experience you need to carry on, not what some institution is offering. Be... free.




Chels
xo

9 comments:

  1. I too am passionate about education, though my post isn't up yet. Except I'm a bit privy to another side of it as a teacher :)

    I must say i agree with a lot of what you say but also disagree. I do think that too much pressure is put on students leaving secondary education and society could be more honest about the likely struggle they will face even with a degree in hand.

    Yet...i do feel like education in itself SHOULD be freeing, what i mean is, it should be a journey of sorts where you're constantly discovering what you love, you should have the right to change your mind about things and try new things and dabble here and there.

    I started collage wanting to be a psychologist and now i'm at uni becoming qualified to be a literature teacher because being exposed to certain subjects helped narrow me down to what i had forgotten, the love i had thought i could not live loving; literature.

    Just my point of view though. Guess i'll elaborate when my post goes live later this comment is getting too long lol

    Thanks for the great read and new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree, we should be able to make our own free choice about what we do, whether we go or not. The journey we take should be entirely our own! I look forward to checking out yours now :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with most everything that you wrote. Yes, children should not feel as though that HAVE to go onto further education in order to make something of themselves. There are plenty of options that don't include university and all of them need to be offered. Most people think that if they don't go on to university that other people will think they are too stupid or something of that nature. Which is absolutely not true! At the same time, I feel so blessed by any education that I have been given (even if I'm paying an arm and a leg for it). There are so many people who would give so much for the education that I have. I love how authentic this post is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I know this time next year I will be sad it's over but whilst it's happening I can't but feel slight anger at the journey I've taken, I don't think I'd take a different path in terms of going to Uni, I wouldn't have minded a break or even a different degree. Thank you Leah! I look forward to reading all of yours :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this and agree with everything you've said in this post. From being in year 9 and having to choose our subjects we are forced to begin to think about what we want to be and do in life, it's ridiculous.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was always you should do this, this and this not 'make your own choice kid'... I just felt everything was forced more x

      Delete
  4. YES!!! I too graduated from college with a B.F.A in mass media and it has yet to have been worth the money/time spent. I learned many things in college, but I would say that there was nothing I learned that couldn't have been self taught. I wish some one had suggested I take some time between high school and the potential of college!

    I popped over from the Blog-tember Challenge, thanks so much for sharing your passion for the education system.

    P.S. I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this time next year I'll have BSc with Hons in Media Production yet I don't feel like it's been worthy of my time or money, I could've learnt it all on the side. Good luck with your future career!
      Thank you so much :)

      Delete
    2. Also I would love to check out your blog but can't seem to get through, leave your link :)

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric