Growing pains

In September I'll be going into my third year of University at LJMU, after finishing year two with a 2:1 I couldn't be any happier but the anxiety builds as I sit and think about one year from now when I'm education free and can start my life doing... what exactly?

Don't get me wrong part of me can't wait, I think I'd realised towards the end of year one/start of year two that I'd picked the wrong degree. I love taking pictures and making videos but I don't think I'll ever get into that stage of wanting it as a career anymore. Call me selfish but I like the idea of doing it on the side to cheer me up. I do it because I enjoy it and I don't want it to become something I no longer enjoy. Growing up is scary and the more my brain overloads on the idea that I've got start being an adult next year, the more it stresses me out.


I wish I was that little kid again with no cares in the world, I'd love to be able to go back to 11 year old me going into Year 7 and tell myself 'Try harder in school and pick a better career plan' or 'Don't go to Uni unless you really need to, it's just a useless part of life with debt'... who knows where I'd be now!! Maybe I'd have invented Netflix hahahaha
I can hear you all saying 'it's all part of growing up' but my inner stress head is screaming inside. The idea of being told at such a young age that you ultimately have to choose what you want to be when you grow up or that University is the only path that gives you a job. 

If anything, being at University has taught me that education shouldn't determine your happiness, you determine your own happiness and I can't wait for the day I'm not having to think about submitting another film essay or worrying about a maths test I never wanted to take. But I guess that's all apart of growing up; you never truly know what you want until you try it out. A customer in work said this to me a few days ago 'follow your dreams kid; whatever people tell you to do, don't' and it really got me thinking, so I've decided that as long as I'm making myself and my parents proud... why should it matter what I do in my career?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric